Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

San Juan Islands/Friday Harbor

Before I left San Diego, one of my patient's family member was from Seattle, and told me to visit this place before I leave. I know I have 2 1/2 months still in Seattle, but I wanted to check this place out early. I'm glad I did.

It took an hour drive to Anacortes, then 1hr and 5 min Ferry boat ride to Friday Harbor, but it was well worth it. I had a lot of scenic views to look at, before arriving at Friday Harbor.

I went kayaking with a group on the west side of San Juan Island, looking for orca whales and birds flying north. Our guide, Matt, gave us safety rules and lessons on Kayaking, then later gave us an awesome tour around the island. He loves his job. He's a man with a lot of history knowledge about the island. (I love history) We didn't see any Orca Whales, but we saw plenty of birds (Bald Eagles, Harlequinn, Canadian Geese, etc). There were 6 of us, including the guide, on this kayaking trip, so it was easier for us to move on than a larger group could.

During our kayaking trip, we stopped at a little bay called, Deadman's Bay. Of course, you wouldn't think of the name at first glance. Another Kayaking group stopped there as well to eat lunch there. The funny part is that they got there before we did, but we finished our lunch, were back in our kayaks and kayaked further to the SW edge of San Juan Island and back before they they left the bay to return back the camping site. Choose your Kayaking companies wisely, or you'll find yourself sitting around more than sightseeing around the island's edge. Better yet, if anyone is considering visiting Friday harbor, San Juan Islands, remember "Outdoor Odyssey". They're experienced guides and Kayakers, and prepared for any kayaking dangers.

They also have a downtown area, but don't blink or you'll miss it. Their "Uptown Cafe" is 3-4 blocks from their main strip, which is 1/4 mile long.

I recommend coming here if you're ever in Washington in th summer.

No comments: