Pages

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Family visiting

Sorry it's taken me this long to write again.

This passed week my parents and my brother Wayne came to Seattle, then to Vancouver to visit my cousins there. People say that I don't act my age, when they find out exactly how old I am. I'm constantly reminded, when I'm with my family, that it's a family trait.

My cousins from Silverdale, WA and San Jose, CA came over to Seattle as well with my parents, and we all went sightseeing together. I'm surprised Seattle is still standing after we left.

Anyways, we made our way from the Ferry Terminal at the waterfront to Pike Place Market. We kept ourselves entertained at Pike Place Market for a while, until we had to make our way to the Space needle for lunch.

Of course, Wayne and I didn't see everything there at Pike Place Market, so we had to come back to visit the 1st Starbucks for Wayne.

We made our way to the Space Needle and ate lunch on the top of the needle (SeaCity Restaurant). If anyone visits there in the near future, try their seafood grill. VERRY good. (I think I've eaten so much seafood here, that I'm surprised that I'm not sick of it yet.) We later went to the Underground Tours, and were educated on the true ground level of Seattle. Did you know that their basement levels in the Pioneer Sqaure was actually the 1st floor of the current buildings? The Pioneer Square was below sea level, so when high tide came in, old Downtown Seattle was underwater, making it and the plumbing system messy. When Seattle "accidentally" burnt down, the Seattle residence thought it would be a great idea to start anew. However, their idea was a tad flawed. They decided to BUILD the buildings first, then raise the street area above sea level later. So, they had to climb ladders to cross the street for a couple years until the city finally covered the old sidewalk with another sidewalk. Now, some businesses use the "basement levels" as storages or shops. Other underground areas have been closed off or used in the prohibition era, and are now in the tour.

A lot of info you may not have wanted to know, but HEY, it was interesting to me.

The next day, Wayne and I went to the Sci-fi museum and Experimental Music Project, but we didn't get far in the EMP cuz we got hungry and went to Crab Pot for lunch. I don't know if I told you about it, but here's a sample of what we ordered.

On Wednesday, we went to Vancouver to visit relatives, and stayed until Saturday. We saw so much to comment on them all. You'll have to look at the album I'm e-mailing to you soon. What I liked the most was a play we watched IN Stanley Park. My cousins in Vancouver were taking us to tour Stanley Park, when we came across a play that you had to follow through the hiking trails to watch the whole production. We followed them through the Stanley Park trails for an hour, engulfed in the story. We couldn't take pix during the play, so I have none to share. You'll just have to believe me. If anyone is visiting Vancouver this summer, they perform the play until July 30th at stanley Park Wed-Sun.

I think that's all I can think of what we saw in the passed week. I'll try to keep updating my blog more often, so I won't have to ramble on like this every time.

Leona

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep the info in...it rocks! I love random trivia. I took that tour back in 1997, I want to say. It was kinda' stinky and creepy in some parts. But, then, I'm not big on basements anyway. Yuck!