Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

A Thousand Blessings





It's a new year. It's 2012, and (almost) everyone is talking about the last day coming on 12/21/2012. If that were the case, WOOHOO! I'm going home to Jesus!! But, Jesus even said that He doesn't even know when He'll return, only God the Father knows. So, how would the Mayans know??




Still this makes you think. Did I do everything I wanted to do? Is there anything I still want to do before I die, or before MY last day? I can make a list of things I want to do still, but why not make a list of blessings that are around me now? I'm reading a book called "One Thousand Gifts". My friend Sandy has been reading this book and told me about it over coffee. The author has gone through emotional pain in her life, and seen loss of family. However, in her hunt for Grace in this distress, she found herself listing blessings/gifts that surround her. She wrote, "...how else do we accept His free gift of salvation if not with thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is evidence of our acceptance of whatever He gives. Thanksgiving is the manifestation of our Yes! to His grace."




We constantly come to God with our wish list. We pray for everyone and everything on our prayer list, but half the time or out of routine we forget to stop and give thanks to God for who He is, and what He's done in our lives. When we're constantly bombarded with hardship, its harder to see the blessings, and perhaps thinks He never blessed you. Even the littlest things that may seem trivial, is probably a blessing. A touch of Peace in your hectic life. If you're focused more on the pain and negative issues in your life you may have missed that gift.





I remember when I went to St Louis.  Because of some series of situations, I was losing faith in prayer and God's promises. I felt like I hit bottom. One day I was waiting to pick up my brother at the train station, and was listening to some worship music while waiting for him. I was eager to seek out God, even though I didn't think I'd find Him. I sat there listening to the praise songs, and decided "God, even if my heart is not in it, I'm going to praise you with these songs." I sang to Him with what little faith I had, and God met me the rest of the way. He was there with me, and I felt renewed. I figured this is the turning point.  Everything is going to get better after this, BUT I was wrong.  My time is St Louis was not getting any better, but worse.  However, he reminded me that His Grace is sufficient for me.  What I experienced earlier was Him strengthening me for the worst. Earlier at the train station, I sat there in God's presence praising His name during the lowest moment, and He loved me, strengthened me, refreshed my spirit, and renewed me. Not to get me out of the pit that easily, but to strengthen me for the worst, and know that I'm not alone.





Daily we're surrounded by pain or negative news, but that's not where God wants us to linger on. What blessings has He given you? Life is not going to be all sunshine and roses. There are thorns among the roses. What are you going to do? Focus on the thorns and hate the roses, or look at the beauty and take in the fragrance?




I'll take the beauty and fragrance. Ann (author) listed 1000 blessings she saw around her, I know I can do the same. Come back to this post every so often to see if the list has grown. If it hasn't, give me a VIRTUAL slap upside the head to continue on to that 1000.




1. Singing Grackles in the trees. (maybe annoying to others, but they seem pleasing to listen to)




2. Waking up to the sun streaming into my bedroom, and no rush to get up.




3. Reading a book that has nothing to do with work or homework.




4. Smell of freshly ground coffee beans




5. Delighted in the Lord's presence in my life (Ps 37:4-5)



6. Knitting with friends.



7. The sound of rain outside.



8. Smell of my apt after baking.  Inviting.



9. Texas sunrises and sunsets (not the same anywhere else)



10. Flock of birds flying in unison, like an ocean wave in the sky.



11. Rain lulling me to sleep (the thunder, not so much)



12. lines of lightning crackling across the sky. (from a safe distance)



13. A smog-less sky after a rain storm



14. God's Faithfulness (especially when I don't deserve it)



15. breathing in Crisp Morning air.



16. placed "on-call" at work, and spend extra time to get ready for the day.



17. A surprise dinner from a friend, waiting for me at home.



18. Clouds in different shapes, lazily moving across the sky



19. Milk swirling in my coffee.



20. reading a book full of God's promises and knowing they are true.



21. Down Comforters.



22. unexpected snow falling in Austin



23. holding a fragile snowflake in my hand (before it melts)



24. the cashier smiling at my child-like fascination with snowflakes



25. Jesus is enough for me.



26. Dipping strawberries into melted chocolate



27. creamy ribbons of melted chocolate



28.  No matter how many times I let go of God, He's never let go of me.



29. Hearing men (including the patient) singing praise songs in Spanish around the patient's bed



30. Divine Whirlwind (organized chaos??)



31. arriving to my destination before the downpour.



32.  2 boys racing each other down the sidewalk on their way to school. (innocence)



33. Joy in patient's (and family's) face after moving his foot for the first time in "months"



34. First signs of Bluebonnets on a hillside (welcome back, Texas Spring)



35. Being disciplined. (tough love/ Heb 12:7-11)



36. My nose bombarded by different aromas of food (my smell senses work!)



37. Spontaneous road trip with friends.



38. Texas Wildflowers coloring the freeway median. Makes rush hour traffic peaceful.



39. driving across the green, rolling hills of the Hill Country of Texas



40. Package waiting for me in the mail.



41. Seeing the well known "Amazon" smile on my package.



42. "MawMaw" patient's big gummy smile.



43. GOD: My Comforter, Healer, Defender, Lover of my soul, Worthy to be Praised. My Rock, My Refuge. My Friend.  He is MORE than enough for me.



44. Prayer hiking with a good friend



45. sound of steady rushing water over rocks at Pedernales Falls.



46. a lone Bluebonnet blooming from a crack of a boulder.



47. starting the day with "last minute" brunch with new friends and laughter



48. ending the same day with "Impromptu dinner" with close friends and laughter



49. Early low morning mist blanketing a wildflower field



50. The sunrise shining across the surface of Town Lake.



51. A father playing with his kids outside.



52. Friends having a "picnic" on the patio.



53. Neighbors enjoying the warm sunny weather outside.



54. God's Peace in my mind and heart. (Psalm 29:11, Col 3:15)



55. the warm breeze rustling the trees.



56. Hot Air Balloon in the middle of Zilker Park



57. bright moon in the clear night sky



58. Surprise East Breakfast with a friend



59. "counting blessings and discovering Who can be counted on." (pg 151)



60. Remembering the Bridge Builder that has gotten me across "hard terrains" of life



61. His Faithful love endures forever. (Ps 136:3-7)



62. A dad making his toddler son laugh while shopping in the grocery store



63. Smell of the air right before it starts to rain.



64. Trail jogging through a green tunnel of trees.



65. Monarch Butterflies randomly crossing my path.



66. Kids "swimming" in a dry fountain.



67. Texas Vultures lazily gliding low, above the tops of trees.



68. Aroma of Lavender in the Breeze. (Blanco, TX)



69. Sunset beaming through dark clouds (wish I took a picture)



70. Silver lining on the clouds (literally)



71. Able to laugh even through stress and frustration



72. My Chiropractor, and feeling the "pop" when being readjusted. (no more pain)



73. Being a nurse



74. Feeling a cool breeze after a good run.



75. A surprisingly easy day at work. (a rarity)



76. A home filled with overnight guests for the holiday (4th of July)



77. Rain boots!!!



78.  Jumping in rain puddles (hence, the rain boots)



79. Relaxing after work with friends, decadent dessert, and laughter (I think it was more from the sugar buzz)



80. Sugar Rush from the dessert.



81. my Parents: married for 49 years now



82. having an example of what a long lasting marriage looks like.



83. Being Redeemed by God's work, not mine.



84. Crazy peace of mind and heart, even during 2 hectic work days (rare moment).



85. Watching puffy Marshmallow clouds in a blue Texas sky.



86. Having my coffee paid for at Starbucks drive-thru by the driver ahead of me.



87. Buying coffee for the driver behind me (pay it forward).



88. Remembering my mom's laughter and smile.



89. The smell of freshly mowed grass.



90. Sunset shining under a blanket of black clouds.



91. Sun beams shining slits of the dark clouds.



92. 2 days in a row of picturesque sunsets shining through dark skies.



93. Seeing Fireflies for the 1st time.

94. The smell of rain





No comments: