Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Dutch Oven Adventures

This might sound like a Spin-off from Julie & Julia, but it isn't. Honest.

I bought a Dutch Oven last year, hoping to make some kind of meals in it. I had it in my head that I could use it for "all-in-one" pot/pan. fry in it, bake in it, cook in it, etc. I didn't know what I really bought. It looked easy to use when I saw Alton Brown using his.(Silly me) Instead, it only collected dust on the stove (our cabinets were to small to store it). I'm still determined to use it somehow. When I come home from work I REALLY don't have the motivation to cook any dinner either. I would just look at my kitchen, and then go back out for fast food instead. My waistline has been seeing the results of that.

Well, recently I moved into a new apartment, with plans for my Small Group to meet here as well. That gave me an idea to finally use my Dutch Oven WEEKLY. I went to the bookstore and found a cookbook specifically made for Dutch Oven cooking (and it's not a campers cookbook). Once a week, I can make one of these One-Pot meal sensations, and serve it to my group. Pretty good idea, if I say so myself. Also, I could actually make one of these meals on my day off, divide them into portions, and have it last me a week so all I have to do is microwave one of the containers once I get home from work. I think I'm on a roll, but let's see if I can actually pull this off.

1st Dish: Bahama Chicken

Each dish has your meat, veggies, and some kind of starch for a balanced meal so you don't have to make any additional mess, just one pot. However, she neglected to mention the mess you'll make just preparing the ingredients. So far, I made 2 dishes for the group, and they were both a hit. One is Bahamian Chicken, but I call it just Bahama Chicken. When I looked at the liquid on the directions, I was kind of..skeptical of how it would taste, and if maybe I should call my girls to bring their dinner in case this became a flop. In the end, everyone liked it. I had only enough left to take w/ me to work the next day. So far so good.

No comments: