Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Appeasing a 12 year old food critic.

You may think this is not blog worthy, but Hey! It's my blog.

If you have the pickiest person eating 4 helpings of the meal, you know you did a good job! For all you Foodies out there, you know what I'm talking about. There's always one person at your table that's hard to please, whatever you make. Tuesday night I made "African Peanut Butter Stew" for my Small Group (bible study group). I have quite a challenge in making a dish everyone would eat. Some have lactose issues, others with Gluten issues, and someone that just doesn't like much that it would probably take her mom to force feed her to eat anything! (I got permission from her mom to write it, not force feed). Looking at the ingredients, I asked my group last week if they'd try it if I made it. I got some yes's and maybes, so I decided to try it.

It was GOOOD. Made some changes so everyone could eat it, and got pretty good reviews from them. Even I went back for seconds! My finicky eater took a small helping at first, but then went back for a bigger helping, and then another! Marion and I were pretty wide-eyed, while she was eating her fourth helping.

The recipe makes for 2 servings, and you have to double or triple the ingredients to fit the size of pot you use. I have a 6 quart Dutch Oven, so it's to make 6 servings in that size pot. I have 11 ladies in my group, and the "6 servings" fed all of them, and for extra helpings. It's like a bottomless pot. It was finally empty when everyone was full! If you ever buy this cookbook, remember they're BIG servings.

Nobody tasted the peanut butter or coconut milk (my change in the recipe). Or even the Shallots (for the onion hater)! :). There was also Cayenne pepper in it, and gave it enough kick. I definitely need to make this one again.

No comments: