Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Why I love Texas: Reason #451

September has been a rough month, especially for Louisiana and Texas. The Texas coast is still picking up their lives that's been blown and swept away by Ike, and still waiting for power and water. This has been my first Hurricane season here in Austin. Last Hurricane season wasn't so bad to consider it as my first. This year, though, a lot of my friends at work compared this season to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Same 2 areas threatened, but Houston this time wasn't as lucky as before. My friends were telling me stories of how the hospitals in Austin were affected during Katrina and Rita, even though they didn't experience the Hurricanes directly, but they received a lot of patients from those that did. This year, it's the same.

This is another reason why I'm lovin' Texas. A lot of us stepped up when needed most. A lot of the staff at my hospital worked extra hours, and even called in to be placed On-Call if the hospital needed extra hands. I heard many times on the radio and news Texans saying, "We need to help our fellow Texans." It was more like family than pride. Texas is the second biggest state in the US, but it's the most close knit state I've been in. Like a family bond, and its probably why people that move here from another state don't want to leave. We just want to be part of that "Texan" family.

My prayers are still going out to those still unsure of their lives post-Ike. We still have patients from Houston, Galvaston, and Louisana. Pray for them, and if you hear of any ways to help them, please do.


Reason #452 is the Smokehouse BBQ ;-D

1 comment:

Maria said...

See why I love the vibe in TX? Especially Austin. I hope God leads us back there one day.