Pages

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Why am I a nurse? Why do I love my job?

When bad days come around, like this one, saying,"Ilovemyjob Ilovemyjob Ilovemyjob Ilovemyjob Ilovemyjob" is just not going to cut it.

WHY do I love my job?

  • Watching patients coming in unsure of the outcome, but relieved, even a little, when I walk in their room to update them on their care, and assuring them.
  • Watching parents and grandparents cry with joy as they watch their (grand)child walk again for the first time in weeks or months after an accident.
  • See patients that were severely injured, and unsure if they'd survive the trauma, return to the unit months later to visit and say "thank you."
  • Enjoy using my gift of helps/service daily in a job that its required.
  • I was called by God to be a nurse, and here I'll stay until He says I'm done.
There will always be bad days at work, but it's the memories of why I remain a nurse that keeps me going. Good or bad, I love being a nurse. I love being God's hands when caring for His children. This list will probably grow even more if I think harder, but my brain is too tired. This is more as a reminder for me, in case I ask that question again after a bad day. If you hear me say it, remind me of these points.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Truthfully, I can't think of ANYONE I would rather have as a nurse. And while I can't imagine how stressful it is for you, I know God gave this life to you for very special reasons. I love you girl!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. I know your mantra "ilovemyjob ilovemyjob" has been text to me many times, however, through it all you have experienced the beauty and joy in living out your calling. That alone should be why anyone should "lovetheirjob lovetheirjob."
-Raquel