Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Is Texas a foreign country?


It's incredible to see how much things have changed in my life. When I first moved to Texas, I could only describe it as a another country. I've lived in 3 states so far when I first got here, and I've seen how different it is. When I was first here, I was constantly reminded that I was in Texas by every billboard I drove by on the freeway, and I found myself saying, "wow, I'm in Texas. What am I doing in Texas?" I have to admit, I didn't like it at first. A lot of pride, a lot of country music, and no friends or family. I learned that the kids learn World history, US history, and Texas history. I've heard of different laws here, that I've never heard in other cities, like: if you lend your car to a teenager, and they are at fault of a fatal crash, YOU are charged of the death even if you weren't in the car. There are other things, but I can't remember them now.

But, Texas has grown on me now.

I love living here. Living in Austin, the liberal dot of Texas. I love the live music I hear especially on the weekends as I run passed a little leagues baseball field. I love the green lushest sceneries only the Hill Country of Texas can give you. Not the same as SD. I love the friends I've met here. The hospital I work at. Even the church that I'm going to, Austin Stone Community Church. My heart has changed, and I've been assimilated ..TO A POINT. I still have the salty ocean in my blood, and San Diego is always on my mind and a special part of my heart. I now have 2 homes: San Diego and Texas. (BTW, did you know there's a San Diego, TX here? Nothing like the real thing though) Of course, some things in Texas throw me for a loop, and on occasion its still a foreign country to me.

No comments: