Pages

Thursday, June 07, 2007

1st week in St Charles

Hello, everyone.

Yes, I am alive and well. After downloading my Austin pics, I noticed how much I've done in Austin, but haven't shared it all. Sorry. Hopefully that will change while I'm here in St Louis/St Charles. Of course, I'm not starting well, huh. I didn't start well in my first week, though. I got sick on my first week here. (I know, poor excuse.) I found out the hard way that St Louis is a city filled with allergies. The hospital I'm at is close to the Missouri river (one of 3 rivers in St Louis), and whatever I'm allergic to is around the river. On my second day at the hospital, I starting feeling sick and aching all over. By the end of the day, I didn't want to move. I went home, took Tylenol and Clairitin D, and went to bed. After having a temp of 101 for a day and a half, I went to see a doctor, and he said that I had both allergies and a sinus infections that's been going around in St Charles. (Welcome to St Louis.) I have to take Clairitin D every day I go to work, or when I'm near Mississippi or Missouri river. So, if you decide to visit St Louis, bring Claritin if you have allergies.

Other than that, I did get a chance to see St Charles before I got sick. (I did take pictures this time). St Charles is filled with history. Did you know that St Charles was the first capitol of Missouri, before the capitol was moved to Jefferson City? The Main Street is the first street made in St Charles. Cobble stones and buildings from that era are still standing. It's like walking back in time. I also went to a couple parks here in St Charles. Beautiful and green. However, the rivers are muddy as ever. Missouri and Mississppi Rivers are brown. Not wise to go Kayaking on, especially after the rain storms. I spoke with a river guide that was loading his boat on his trailer, and he said that the Missouri river is over flowing. 8ft above the normal level. There are stone dikes that are covered with water that if you don't know the river well enough to navigate through, you can easily damage your boat. (trivial information in case someone asks)

But, that's pretty much what I did my first week here. I promise, I will keep you updated on my sightseeing, so you can live vicariously through me. :-D

Love ya guys.
Leona

No comments: